ARTICLE I: NAME
The name of this regional system of cooperating libraries shall be “The Northwest Kansas Library System.” For the purpose of these bylaws, the term “System” shall be construed to mean the Northwest Kansas Library System.
ARTICLE II: AUTHORITY AND PURPOSE
The System is established and shall be operated as a municipality pursuant to, and in compliance with, the laws of the State of Kansas, particularly K.S.A. 75-2547, et seq.
The purpose of the organization shall be to provide through a system of cooperating libraries, improved library service to all citizens in the Northwest Kansas area and to otherwise promote library interests in the State of Kansas.
ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP
The membership of the System shall consist of those participating libraries designated by the State Library of Kansas Board. Additional libraries shall be included in the future as designated by the State Library of Kansas Board.
Any legally established or club library in the counties of Cheyenne, Decatur, Gove, Graham, Logan, Norton, Rawlins, Sheridan, Sherman, Thomas, Trego and Wallace is eligible to participate in the System, provided it files with the System Board. The System Board shall vote approval and petition the State Library of Kansas Board to approve inclusion of such library.
Two types of library membership are possible:
1. Participating members are those libraries in counties that levy the System tax.
2. Contracting members are libraries in counties which do not levy the System tax.
A participating library, or participating libraries of a county, when in unanimous agreement, may withdraw from the System by submitting written notice to the System’s governing body one year prior to the adoption of the annual budget, subject to the approval of the State Library of Kansas Board.
In the event of the withdrawal of a participating library from the System, all System assets and all System property purchased with System funds shall become the property of, and shall be returned to the System.
ARTICLE IV: GOVERNING BODY
The governing body of the System shall be the System Board. The System Board shall be composed of one representative from each participating library and the Governor’s appointee from each participating county. Each representative is to be elected by the trustees of the participating library and certified in writing to the System office by the chairman of that library board, the librarian, or school administrator.
Representatives Term of Office:
1. Each library representative shall be elected for a term of four years. In the event the representative is unable to attend a Full System Board meeting, an alternate may be given the right to represent that library by giving notice to the System office
2. No representative shall serve for more than two full consecutive terms. A representative must be off the board for one full year before being eligible for reappointment. Governor’s appointees shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor.
3. In the event of the death or resignation of a representative, an alternate shall complete the unexpired term of the representative.
4. The election of all representatives shall be certified in writing to the System Center prior to taking office.
5. Each member library shall elect its representatives every fourth year. In the event a new member library is added to the System, a representative shall be elected to serve until the next regular election for that library.
The System Board shall adopt the annual budget and plan of services, approve officers and amend the bylaws. It shall delegate to its Executive Committee such other duties as are not specified in these bylaws.
The System Board shall hold a regular annual meeting before the 15th of August at a place and time to be specified in the meeting notification.
1. The Annual meeting shall include an evaluation of the current System programs, the adoption of the annual budget and plan of services,
2. The approval of the election of officers, an end of the year review of System service, and a review of the bylaws.
3. Any member of the Executive Committee or a majority of the System Board members may call a Special meeting of the System Board.
ARTICLE V: EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
The Executive Committee shall consist of one member from each county in the system that levies the System tax. The System Board members from each taxing county shall appoint one of the members from their county to serve on the Executive Committee for a period of two (2) years.
At least one member of the Executive Committee shall be a Governor’s appointee. Governor’s appointees are eligible to serve as long as they are Governor’s appointees.
The duties of the Executive Committee are as follows:
- Chairman–To preside at meetings and appoint special committees.
- 1st Vice Chairman–To act as chairman in the absence of the Chairman.
- 2nd Vice Chairman–To act as chairman in the absence of both of the above.
- Secretary–To ensure that minutes of the System Board and Executive Committee meetings are recorded
- Treasurer–To ensure that accurate financial reports of the System are provided.
The Officers shall be elected by the Executive Committee from the members of the Executive Committee to serve for a period of one year. No officer shall serve more than two consecutive years in the same office.
The System Director shall attend all meetings as a nonvoting technical advisor to the committee.
In the event of a vacancy on the Executive Committee, a replacement shall be appointed by the System Board members from the county in which the vacancy occurs to fill out the term. If a vacancy occurs in an office the Executive Committee shall fill the vacancy by electing a member of the Executive Committee to fill out the term.
The Executive Committee shall meet at least monthly at a place and time to be determined by the majority of the Committee, unless deemed unnecessary by the Chairman.
The Executive Committee shall be empowered to conduct all affairs of the System not specifically reserved for the System Board.
ARTICLE VI: COMMITTEES
1. The Chairman shall appoint a Budget Committee to be composed of the Treasurer and additional members of the System Board. The committee shall prepare and submit to the full System Board at the Annual meeting.
2. The Chairman shall appoint a Planning Committee to be composed of members of the System Board. This committee shall prepare and submit to the Full System Board at the Annual meeting.
3. The Chairman shall appoint a Policy Committee to be composed of members of the System Board. The committee shall review and revise the NWKLS Policies to submit to the Executive Committee. The Committee shall review and revise the NWKLS Bylaws for submission to the Full System Board.
Other committees shall be appointed by the Chairman when the Executive Committee or Board deems it necessary to carry on the business of the Board.
The Chairman shall be an ex-officio member of all committees.
ARTICLE VII: VOTING
Each representative or alternate shall have one vote at System Board meetings. The representatives of contracting libraries and non-legally established public libraries shall have voting power on all matters except those related to the budgeting of regional tax funds.
1. System Board–a quorum for System Board meetings is forty per cent of the total members of the Board.
2. Executive Committee–a quorum is the majority of the members of the committee.
Voting by proxy is not allowed.
ARTICLE VIII: RULES OF ORDER
“Robert’s Rules of Order“, current revision, shall apply except when in conflict with state statutes or these bylaws.
ARTICLE IX: AMENDMENTS
Amendments to these bylaws require a majority vote of the total number of qualified members of the System Board, subject to the approval of the State Library Advisory Commission, and provided the proposed amendment is printed, with the changes and corrections delineated, and mailed prior to or with the agenda for the meeting.
Revised October 8, 2015